Friday, July 10, 2009

Tying the Celtic Knot


ithout a doubt, we have Irish blood coursing through our veins, along with strong French and Acadian lines, very German genes, many English ancestors, and bits of Dutch, Italian, Micmaw, and Cherokee trickling from over a century ago. My husband jests that I have given “hybrid vigor” to our children. *smile* No banjos playing in my camp!!!

Having said all of that, it is our Irish heritage that has come to the forefront lately. At the close of the summer, one of my “little” sisters plans to be married; and because of our beloved Irish roots and the same of her fiancĂ©, they have chosen to weave that theme throughout their wedding. This is where I come in. ;-)

Knowing my affinity for carving, my sister asked that I carve something that she could use as a theme image for her wedding. No, the request was not as broad as that; she wanted a pair of Celtic cranes like the ones she had seen somewhere . . . oh, help . . .

I finally found a suitable image that had a vintage look and seemed to capture the feel that she sought. It was originally carved or impressed into clay, and I had a difficult time following the Celtic knotting. Over? Under? Over? Under? My eyes literally began to cross as I worked with the image. Finally, I was able to produce something I thought I could carve without inviting disaster.

The result was pleasantly surprising, despite the condition of the original image and the criticism I always heap upon my work. A scanned copy is in her hands, and she is delighted.

Before these little cranes make their way as a gift to the bride and groom, though, I intend to get some mileage out of them. Perhaps a virtual letterbox image as per the new rules. Maybe some LTCs. We’ll see.

When I have had my fun, I’ll encase the stamp in a felt-lined wooden box bearing its image.

Congratulations, you two! We love you both.

1 comment:

Please feel free to share your thoughts. ;-)